Monday, November 3, 2014

Fall Break Feeling Good

     This past week has been amazing! It was fall break and there was no class!!!! I haven't been in a class in over a week and it has been wonderful!  I began the break by taking a short visit to Antwerp to visit my former iFriend from the University of Arkansas, Lieselot!  It was great having her show me around her favorite places in her town.  The next day I was on a flight to Greece with three amazing ladies who are in my program here, Savannah, Katie, and Catherine!!! We spent the night in Athens and saw the Acropolis then took a ferry to Mykonos.  The ferry was not what I expected at all, they are actually really comfortable, they have couches and coffee shops on board!  We spent 2 days touring the island via ATV.  We tried local food, local drinks, and even went swimming.  After that, I embarked on another journey to a different island, Milos!  Milos was very different than Mykonos but still wonderful.  My first day in Milos, I was sung to at my table by an Argentinian man who was convinced that he was Enrique Iglesias and did magic tricks, kinda comical actually.  I again rented an ATV and saw the Island and all of the beaches.  What amazed me was how different each beach was.  My favorite was definitely Sarakiniko Beach because it was different from any other beach I have ever seen (Picture to follow!) While on the ATV, I decided to go a different way back to town and got "lost".  I was still on a road, but it was now a muddy dirt road in a mining area.  The foreman had to show me the way out of town.  Im sure I was the laughing topic at his dinner table that night.
       Both Islands had a lot of stray cats, I have come to the conclusion that I could become the crazy cat lady of the island and not look weird. I would give the cats all my leftover food and I even bought food for them.  One thing I learned is that the Greeks like to give away alcohol.  It is tradition in their culture to give something away for free.  The first night, we got free desert, the next was a free glass of wine per girl, then my favorite restaurant in Milos gave away free shots of Rika and Mataxa (Rika is nasty and makes moonshine taste like water, Mataxa is actually quite good!!).  In Athens, a group of drunk old men also bought me a beer at dinner.  I now have a love of Greek beer. 
https://www.facebook.com/rachel.l.bronson
https://twitter.com/r_bronso12     I am now back on the school grind for these final 6 weeks and seeing that my weekends are coming to an end and I have planned out my last trips.  I am looking forward to the weeks to come!

Sarakiniko beach

Go Arkansas!

Kilma Fishing Village

Swimming in October!

Savannah, Catherine, Katie and I!

Sarakiniko Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment